Wednesday 18 March 2020

Corona Diaries; Social Isolation Day One


Big girl goes to preschool, sobbing and sobbing. 

Since corona happened she been picking up on the tense atmosphere and it affects her a lot. I make her go anyway. Who knows how much longer the schools will stay open for?

Littlest has a nap while I do my work-out. I’ve never been more grateful for my online workout subscription. At least I can exercise from home throughout the social distancing.  

Middle girl plays while I work out and we play together for a while. I take a couple of phone calls, one from a friend in isolation asking me to pick up a prescription for her. I am only too happy to oblige, desperate for things to hang my day around.

Hubby is working from home in the (fortuitously!) Recently decorated office/dining room. He is a vicar which makes things interesting. He’s currently calling round all the members of the church aged 70 and over checking that they have good support and working out how the church can help. Its nice hearing his voice in the background though I’m aware of the battle we will be facing to keep the kids out of his hair as the days turn to weeks.

11:00 I crack and phone a friend to discuss the exact definition of social isolation and whether hanging out together outside might be appropriate? This was longer than I thought I might have lasted!

Baby wakes and we head out for a walk in our local woods. I am a qualified forest school nursery teacher, but despite this we don’t actually spend much time in the woods! As we potter around and Sylvie balances on branches and pokes mud with sticks I am convicted of this and find myself actually looking forward to having a chance to explore the outdoors a bit more with the girls. Walking is surely something we’ll be able to do throughout?

We put in an Argos order for play sand and craft supplies – thinking about the essentials for spending more time at home. Also a scooter for Sylvie. Yesterday our trusty double buggy gave up the ghost so looks like middle child will be on scooter boot camp for the next few weeks until she can keep up with her sister.

The day ends in much the same way our days always end,with the infallible tea, bath and bed routine. Having small kids is a blessing in this way.




No comments:

Post a Comment