I have long been of the opinion that doing certain things make me feel better about life - they seem to reach a place that other stuff can't and in times of hardship bring me back to something resembling where I want to be. So I thought I'd share the things I do when I want to be kind to my weary and overburdened soul..
1) Spending time with my Grandmother (or any elderly relative will do!) theres something about going back to my past that helps me deal better with the future. Also to soak up the experience of someone older is deeply humbling and comforting.
2) and on the other end of the spectrum..hanging out with children! simple freedom with no need for worries or cynicism, need I say more?
3) Climbing trees, its nice to gain a sense of perspective :)
4) Get out!! Anywhere in nature and just B.R.E.A.T.H.E
5) watching the sea, the inevitability of the tides always reminds me of the lasting faithfulness of our God.
6) cleaning! I dont know what it is but something in the process of making something clean again soothes me, putting things in order and seeing an immediate change.
7) Watching the sun rise and set.
7) Making some heartening soup or broth. nb it is important to be deliberate about it so take your sweet time.
8) Mountains, they're so flipping Huge!! And beautiful, brings me peace.
9) Fire!! (Not in a pyromaniac way) it's mesmerizing and life sustaining.
9) Building a den, there really is something in having a small safe place to take your troubles.